Foodies Festival Competition

Festival season was about the furthest thing from my mind this morning. As my daughter and I walked the dog dressed in our cold weather gear, a woman stopped to ask, ‘are you walking your dog again?’ Smiling, but with a slightly tired and vacant look, she said, ‘the sun is up there, somewhere.’

‘It’s milder today,’ I replied, and then I broke our meeting to dive after my daughter who was about to roll in a pile of dog mess. Now I think about it, I have had conversations like this at festivals.

As I write, the rain is pattering at my window. I have spent the evening looking through old photographs of parties, trying to find one that is suitable to post as a caption competition. You see I have been given three pairs of tickets to Brighton Foodies Festival worth £12 each, especially for readers of my blog.

The Brighton Foodies Festival runs from 4th-6th May at Hove Lawns. It coincides with hundreds of other events going on in the city in the month of the Brighton Festival and Fringe. The Foodies Festival promises a lineup well suited to my highly-responsible-and-grown-up-but-still-greedy self. Among the attractions are theatres with cooking classes and demos from leading chefs, bakers, wine buffs and mixologists. There also will be a children’s cookery theatre, VIP dining area, producers market, a ‘street food avenue’ and a city beach to digest it all on.

I have decided against a caption competition because none of my festival photos are publishable. I’m pretty sure a photo of a Staffordshire bull terrier in a pink tutu mounting a woman’s leg isn’t the sort of thing you want to look at on a website you’ve clicked on for some mealtime inspiration. Instead, to be in with a chance of winning a pair of Foodies Festival tickets, I’d like you to share the story of one your most memorable festival meals.

To enter please post your festival food story in the comments below before midday on 29th April. Three winners will picked out at random and notified on 29th April. On supply of a postal address, the tickets will be sent out the following day. All winners’ tickets are valid for entry to the festival on one day only between 4th-6th May.

I look forward to reading your answers!

• 0

Overall Score

• Reader Rating: 0 Votes

About Chloe King

I'm a freelance writer, designer and webby type. I live with my husband and daughter in the south of England. I like to cook and can throw a good party.

You May Also Like

14 comments on “Foodies Festival Competition

1. April 11, 2013 at 12:35 pm

My story- I ran into a girl from a fave food stall – ms Manchu, at my office elevator! It was r&r last day and she was quitting to do food full time- my dream too. She invited me to work some festivals with her and get a flavour for it and I’m hooked.

Expect to see me working FoodiesFestival one day! But til then would love to win tics 🙂
    Thanks!
    S

• April 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Brilliant, always great to meet a hero! Do let me know how your foodie business comes to fruition, and thank you for breaking the silence by being the first one to comment. 🙂

2. April 11, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Do mushrooms count as a meal?

3. April 11, 2013 at 6:27 pm

My revisit to Glastonbury (after a 10 year gap!) resulted in me eating Real pie & mash as my ‘daily’ meal – nobody else ate anything so I was very proud!

• April 11, 2013 at 7:31 pm

And justifiably so! I love a spot of pie and mash at a festival. Have you tried Dee’s Pies? One word. YUM.

4. April 11, 2013 at 9:10 pm

My husband played Glastonbury four years in a row. The first year this ended? The year we got together, so I never got the free ticket and free booze, or the marginally cleaner performers loos. I guess is less a funny story, more an appeal to help me right the balance by giving me tickets to the food festival!

• April 11, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Wow, bad luck sister. You better tell him to get back into rehearsals. If he refuses, don’t worry, the odds are still pretty good on this comp.

5. April 14, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Yes to pie and mash! Probably the only food I remember eating at the Secret Garden Festival a couple of years ago. There were loads of food options, and curry may have also been involved, but the one portion of pie and mash I had stands out. Even more so now, living in Spain it is impossible to find a good pie, and mash somehow just doesn’t work. I don’t think I’ve mashed potatoes in years. Though this has now inspired me – I shall have mashed potato this week, regardless!

• April 14, 2013 at 8:16 pm

You must! I recommend the Moro garlic mash, cook spuds in milk and loads of garlic if i remember rightly, goes very well with Spanish flavours… Though it’s probably the heat that’s the issue. I bet you have warm weather where you are. Think I would quite easily give up mash for a bit of sunshine. (Although it was quite nice today, so shouldn’t complain.)

• April 16, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Yes, the heat has arrived. But I shall battle through it bravely to eat my mash…. The garlic version sounds great. And do come out and visit anytime you need a dose of sunshine and some Spanish cuisine!

• April 16, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Yes please, I’m long overdue a trip to Spain 🙂

6. April 22, 2013 at 11:34 am

Every year that I make it to Glastonbury I have but one ritual…
    To stay up all of Saturday night till my knees give in, risk permanent insanity through osmosis at the stone circle waiting for sunrise, bake in the heat for a bit then drag my frazzled being down to the Jazz World Stage at around 11am. Not to listen to any guitarist getting lost on his fretboard or sway at a wandering wobbly warbler….no, I stop at the entrance.
    For there you find the Caribbean food stall, all the way from good old South London. And it’s there I sit, on an old wooden pallet, surrounded by zombies and newmorns, feasting on curry goat, rice n’ pea, fresh salad, plantain, corn on de cob, as many festival dumplings as I can manage (usually only one due the nights lack of suitable liquids but one year I somehow managed three???) and all smothered in gravy and hot sauce.
    It takes a while to get through but is by far the best dinner/breakfast/lunch I can ever imagine. Just thinking of it now and I can feel the dry mud on my cheeks……

• April 22, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Brilliant answer Lord Bisc, I’m there with you right now with hot sauce dribbling into my wellie boots.